Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thankful to the driver in front

This morning I decided that the cup of coffee I had at home before I left for work was not enough to get myself prepared for the day. Marley, love her dearly, might be the WORST sleep partner ever - whose idea was it to let her sleep in bed with us, anyway? Eric, if you're reading this DO NOT answer! You see, Marley refuses to sleep at the edge of the bed like a normal dog. (However, if you've read any of my previous posts, you know she's not a normal dog.) Instead, she insists on sleeping right smack between us, and if Eric and I try to cuddle, she noses and wedges her way in between, even resorting to plopping herself down right on top of me in a last ditch ever to make me move over. And let me tell you, 70 pounds of Labradoodle can do a number on your back, so she usually wins that battle. Most nights, she snores and snuggles up next to my ear, which I usually don't mind in the winter because she becomes another source of body heat.  However last night, while resting comfortably in her usual spot, Marley got a bad case of hairball and was hacking up a storm. Eric, afraid she was going to puke, started yelling for me to get the dog out of the bed because she was going to throw up. How am I going to get the dog out of the bed any faster than he would? I digress... Long story short she did not end up tossing her cookies, but nonetheless I was awoken from my dreams and therefore extra tired this morning.

So back to the coffee... I stopped at Manhattan Bagel, which is right next to my office for a breakfast sandwich and medium double double. After an excessively long wait, I received my sandwich sans the coffee which had not been charged to my order. Since there was a long line behind me, I decided I would drive to the other side of my office building to McDonalds to get my .79 cent coffee instead. I pulled into the drive thru with just one vehicle in front of me, placed my order and waited... and waited... what the heck was taking so long? Apparently the proud Marine mom in front of me had a rather large drive thru order, and it is because of that, that she paid for my coffee. I was so grateful and as I poked my head out the window, she called back for me to have a great day. I said thank you for the coffee and thank you for your child's service to our country. As the decals on her minivan said, Semper Fi! She was a proud Marine mom, and she was doing what she could to make her mark on the world. She certainly left a great impression on me this morning, and a little less grumpy me at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment