Monday, June 11, 2012

Life can Change in an Instant

It's amazing when that maternal gene makes herself known to you, and you all of a sudden realize just how much you want to be a mother. For some, it happens unexpectedly and for others it develops over time. For me, it was more gradual, and then in an instant it became all I can think about.

In high school, health instructors teach you that if you have sex, you get pregnant. And for some that statement is true, but for others, you learn that the body is much more complicated, and there are many factors that can prevent this dream from occurring in an instant. It's a long process that has its ups and downs, heartaches and excitements, but in the end, you realize that what's meant to be will be, and it's really out of your control. Fate has a way of taking the reigns and you just have to let go and try to enjoy the ride.

It's that same fate that can change your life dramatically in an instant. This past weekend, two young teenagers decided to walk into a busy street to get to the other side, but fate changed their lives and the lives of their families forever. They were critically injured by a vehicle and now fight for their lives. I did not know these girls personally, but the one was very close to a good friend of mine, and her parents are my acquaintances. When I heard the news, a pit in my stomach the size of a pumpkin developed and it hasn't found its way out. I just keep thinking about how unfair life can be. I can't stop thinking and praying for the two girls whose lives have really just begun, and for their parents who love them unconditionally and whose hearts are broken as they pray for miracles.

A mother dreams of the day she can hold her baby in her arms. From the minute she decides she wants a baby to the second she finds out she's pregnant, through the nine months she carries her baby in her womb, to the day her baby's born. And then she worries that her child will be safe and that the lessons she teaches her will be enough to make her a strong and wonderful human being.

As I sit here I can't help but question why bad things happen to good people. I pray with everything I have that a miracle will happen and that these young teens will recover and go on to live long, healthy lives, and that what happened this past weekend will turn out to be a bad memory, but one with a life lesson that both girls can take with them as they grow old. I pray for their families that they can get through this dark hour, and be strong for their daughters. I'm praying and will continue to pray for their miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment