Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Taken too soon

This morning I attended the funeral of a young teen who will never have the chance to grow up. To be able to aspire to do great things. To carry out those aspirations. Get married. Raise a family, or grow old. It's a story that has affected me more than I can truly express into words.

My heart aches as I think of her parents who can remember as if it were yesterday the day they held her in their arms for the first time. They were proud of the young person she was becoming. Over this past weekend, through the stories that were told, I feel like I got to know this young girl who was beautiful, quirky and kind. She also had an enormous heart.

You never know what to say to the family and friends of someone who has passed away. "I'm so sorry" just doesn't cut it. "He or she lived a long life" is like a knife to the back, and "at least she's at peace" can only be interpreted as a slap in the face. No, no words seem to be comforting enough. No phrase will ever erase the pain that the loved ones feel. But when it is a child who was taken tragically, the loss of words is almost unbearable. Every word you say seems wrong the instant its said out loud. No amount of comfort will ever bring their baby back.

During yesterday's homily, the priest spoke of the life that the young teen led and the impact she had on the hundreds of people assembled in the church. He spoke of the joy she brought to her parents and siblings and friends, and he spoke of the wonderful job her parents did raising her to perfection in God's eyes that lead to her being called home at such a young age - before she really had a chance to live. But one common theme that was heard was that this young lady lived her short life to the fullest.

If there's one thing that I have taken with me, it's that I will honor her life by living my life to the fullest and making the most of the precious time that I have here on earth. I truly will "Dance as though no one is watching."

No comments:

Post a Comment